Within our mission, we have defined 5 specific social goals to ensure that we serve clients in a responsible manner
Advans Institutions are committed to
1. Having a positive impact on clients’ revenues and savings through supporting their activities and building their financial stability
2. Reaching out to underserved populations with appropriate products and channels
3. Providing clients with quality services in a transparent, respectful and conscientious manner
4. Creating a fair, healthy and dynamic working environment for our staff
5. Being accountable and build awareness of social and environmental issues amongst employees and clients
We believe that in striving to achieve these goals, our activities will generate a positive impact on economic and social development in our countries of operation.
Monitoring of Social Performance Management (SPM)
At Board level
- Social Performance Champion: As of July 2016 Advans SA and all Advans affiliates have nominated a Social Performance Champion on their Board. The SPM Champion's role is to build awareness of SPM on the Board, to analyse SPM data and to give feedback on any relevant SPM topics.
At group level
- The SPM Manager ensures that the procedures are followed and that the Social and Environmental Management System (SEMS) is properly enforced and in accordance with best practices and is the contact point for all affiliates or external partners for any technical ESP questions.
At affiliate level
- The SPM Coordinator ensures the SPM Policy is applied correctly in the affiliate, and acts as the point of contact on all environmental and social matters for the institution in question;
- The General Manager supports the SPM Coordinator and SPM Champion in their roles, and ensures the implementation of the SPM Policy.
Advans SA's Exclusion list
Advans SA has an Environmental and Social exclusion list that all affiliates must implement in order to avoid financing activities with a potentially harmful effect on society or on the environment. This list incorporates the exclusion lists of its shareholders and partners and is updated in accordance with best practices in the sector.
Activities involving harmful or exploitative forms of forced labour
Activities deemed illegal under host country laws/regulations or international conventions
Activities involving the production or trade of tobacco or alcoholic beverages (excluding beer or wine)
Activities involving the trade of pharmaceuticals banned or phased out internationally
Activities involving the trade of wood or forestry products from unmanaged forests
Activities which have substantial negative impact on health or the environment
Activities which involve the arms trade, gambling, radioactive material, drift net fishing, arms manufacturing, illegal drugs, pornography, impingement on lands owned by indigenous peoples, and the production of racist, anti-democratic or neo-Nazi material.
Staff that join the Advans network receive specific training on raising awareness of the institution’s social and environmental responsibility, with a focus on the ESP and the Advans group’s mission. The training is geared to branch staff, who have a direct relationship with clients.